Ratcatcher
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NickA
Hyperactive Member

United Kingdom
1523 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  15:43:22  Show Profile  Visit NickA's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Take a bow Andy
The Citizen
RAT CATCHER SPOTS A MAN'S DEADLY ILLNESS
Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list
Be the first reader to comment on this story

09:30 - 03 December 2005
A Rat catcher may have saved a farmer's life when he spotted a potentially fatal infection.

When Andrew Beddoes looked at a shivering Rupert Hyett, he noticed his eyes had turned yellow - classic signs that he had developed Weil's disease which is carried in rat's urine. "It was just lucky that Andrew was involved in trying to get rid of the rats," said Mr Hyett, 52, who runs a small arable farm at Hasfield, near Tewkesbury.

"When I caught it, I was out working and Andrew just happened to come along and see me. That was the first day that I had it really badly.

"He noticed I was not well. I just thought it was a fever but it got worse the next day."

Mr Beddoes, 47, who runs his own vermin control firm, AB Complete, feared Mr Hyett had developed leptospirosis, which is known as Weil's disease when jaundice occurs. It can be fatal. "I was convinced we were on top of the rats," he said.

"I went out to see him and he was sat in his vehicle and could not do anything to get warm.

"He was convulsing and shivering - he had yellow under his eyes. I took him home, I thought he had leptospirosis."

The next day, said Mr Beddoes, a doctor gave Mr Hyett antibiotics, but he returned and he was given a blood test, which confirmed leptospirosis.

"If it had not been detected, he could be in hospital with kidney and liver failure," said Mr Beddoes, from Tirley.

"He was within six or seven days of being seriously ill in hospital. I have never seen a case of this before in 25 years."

The bacterial infection is notifiable but transfer between humans is extremely rare.

Mr Hyett is still taking antibiotics and is starting to feel much better.

"It's just as well Andrew spotted it," he said. "I'm starting to feel better now."

Prevention for protection

Edited by - NickA on 04 Dec 2005 15:44:55

Northerner

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  16:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good on yer, sport.
Go to Top of Page

Fett

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  16:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one Andy

http://s4.invisionfree.com/VirtualPest
Go to Top of Page

Fenn Man
Hyperactive Member

Ireland
931 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  17:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GREAT! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/Trap_Collector/grinning-smiley-003.gif[/img]

Go to Top of Page

pestech

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  17:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well done that man
Go to Top of Page

ben

United Kingdom
202 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  23:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well done mate.

you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

Editor
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
175 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  23:40:36  Show Profile  Visit Editor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Front page news.
http://www.pestcontrolportal.com/industry/news/shownewsarticle.asp?id=103

Fantastic.

Editor - www.pestcontrolportal.com
Go to Top of Page

massmurderer

United Kingdom
82 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  16:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to be appreciated,not more so by the farmer.
Go to Top of Page

listing84

Jamaica
10 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2007 :  11:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
moderated

Edited by - Iain on 24 Dec 2007 15:21:15
Go to Top of Page

The Spotlight Kid

1495 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2007 :  18:26:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well spotted Dr Beddoes. Any ideas how he came into contact with it just for the record Andy? Were the rats in the house or was there a water/damp conection somewhere? Could be useful for all of us as it's a pretty rare occurence thankfully.
Go to Top of Page

andyb

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2007 :  13:25:43  Show Profile  Visit andyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The chap is a beef farmer, at the time the cattle feed was stored on the floor of some barns, a small brook runs alongside and then under one of the barns, the rat infestaion was along the bank of the stream. The farmer was in contact with the food stuffs, gates and equipment daily most of which had been traversed by dear old ratty.

ANDY B
www.abcomplete.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pest Control Forum © Pest Control Portal. Always read the Label. Use Pesticides Safely. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000