New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anna
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2007 :  09:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello We have a bit of a rat inestation in the cavities of the house. We are using a high frequency plug to deter the rats but I am also pregnant and read recently that baby's in the womb hear a higher frequency than we do - i need to find out if this plug could be affecting my baby's hearing or causing distress or whether the frequencies are likely to be on a completely different level. Wondered if there was anyone who would be able to help on this matter? or if anyone might know who i could ask to find out?

The Spotlight Kid

1495 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2007 :  10:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have no effect on rats so no need to worry about the unborn baby. If you still have the receipt take it back for a refund and put the money towards paying for a professional to sort out your rat problem, or get something nice for the baby!

A rat infestation and the contamination and disease risk from droppings and urine is not what you need when you are expecting a baby.
Go to Top of Page

Bigbully

United Kingdom
96 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2007 :  11:58:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anna - I would agree with Spotlight. If you are using the device and still have rats then there really is little point in using it and this makes your enquiry redundant. However, If you are still worried I would suggest that you need to contact the manufacturer of the device for further info on the frequencies emitted and the intensity at which they are emitted and then consult with your doctor.
Go to Top of Page

Jacqui

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2007 :  15:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anna,

The high frequency plug that you mention is fine to use when pregnant as it does not effect humans. They can be used if you have dogs, cats etc who also hear a higher frequency then us.

We bought the JML plug which many of our neighbours did due to the flooding early this year and they workded for us.

As many on here work as 'professionals' they will always advise to call in the pros.

Give it a go anyway and if it does work for you then you have saved the £££ what it would cost to call in pest control.

All the best with your pregnancy.
Go to Top of Page

Iain

United Kingdom
772 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2007 :  16:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and if it doesn't work?

Well, you've only lost a few quid - but ratty has had a few extra weeks in which to contaminate your property. Let's hope that he isn't infected with some disease like Weil's.

As for 'Jacqui', perhaps you can explain how this 'high frequency plug' works. It doesn't affect dogs and cats - only rats....?

Frankly, that beggars belief!

Now just think how much money Anna would have saved had she called in the 'pros' first of all. All those s wasted on a device that promises everything but......

Go to Top of Page

3bigbass

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2007 :  18:50:45  Show Profile  Visit 3bigbass's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It amazes me that they are allowed to sell thses items, we've all seen houses infested with all sorts of pests where these things are plugged into every socket, mole hills all around these devices etc.

If I do a mouse job and fail to control the population then it's down to me to make it right but the manufacturers of these products are blatantly selling goods not fit for purpose and they get away with it.

Ken Chadwick
www.harrierpestprevention.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

The Spotlight Kid

1495 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2007 :  19:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't understand why they can't get a refund. I suggest to my rodent and mole customers to take them back and show them my bill for pest control to prove that the repellers are not fit for purpose.

Has anyone actually read the small print on these products to see what claims are made for their efficiency?
Go to Top of Page

Dusty
Hyperactive Member

Australia
970 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2007 :  23:25:21  Show Profile  Visit Dusty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/05/fyi0128.shtm
The next link is interesting because it is somewhat anti pesticide
http://www.livingwithbugs.com/electron.html
These people make a good point that if there was a scintilla of scientific proof that sonic and ultrasonic devices actually work, that the maufacturers would then be screaming such from the roof tops

JAFA
Don't feed them, get Rid of them - visit us on www.ridpest.com.au
or blog us on http://blog.ridpest.com.au

Edited by - Dusty on 30 Nov 2007 23:26:32
Go to Top of Page

The Spotlight Kid

1495 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2007 :  09:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point Dusty and a couple of interesting sites for Jacqui to reflect on.

Jacqui, this issue is not just about money for us. Yes we are professionals and this is how we make our living but our job has a solid scientific base.

We have to learn and understand pest biology and behaviour.

We have to learn and understand the chemistry and mode of action of the pesticides we use and how these react biologically with the nervous systems or digestive systems or reproductive systems of the pests to achieve control.

If it was as simple as plugging in a repeller then we would all carry them in the van as a useful tool of the trade.

I would say that at the moment on fifty percent of my mole trapping jobs the first thing I do before laying any traps is to pull the sonic mole repeller out of the ground. Now if they worked what am I doing there?

Unfortunately the science doesn't stack up. There have been some quite robust field trials with both electro-magnetic and sonic devices in America and all products failed miserably.

When it comes to science over magic, science usually wins. Having said that, for the people who sell these cons it must be magic for their business bank accounts!
Go to Top of Page

Jacqui

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2007 :  10:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iain

...and if it doesn't work?

Well, you've only lost a few quid - but ratty has had a few extra weeks in which to contaminate your property. Let's hope that he isn't infected with some disease like Weil's.

As for 'Jacqui', perhaps you can explain how this 'high frequency plug' works. It doesn't affect dogs and cats - only rats....?

Frankly, that beggars belief!

Now just think how much money Anna would have saved had she called in the 'pros' first of all. All those ?????s wasted on a device that promises everything but......

I don't work for JML, I just purchased a product from them and past on my findings to Anna the fact that for me the plug-in worked. I understand that this may not be the case for everyone. So to us it was worth the £19.99 we spent as to the £100's it would have cost for a 'pro'.

A neighbour had mice in her walls/floorboards/chimney and the so called 'pro' wasn't able to help as he said something about insurance and wouldn't start messing with floorboards as she was renting her property. He still charged her for the call out fee (good of him) something he could have explained on the telephone but hey he couldn't have charged for that could he?
Go to Top of Page

Jonathan Peck

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2007 :  12:54:26  Show Profile  Visit Jonathan Peck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jacqui

This is a continuing arguement within the pest management industry and one that will run for ever.

The scientific opinion is that generally these units do not work. That does not mean that there will not be cases where purchasers have been satisfied with the units, just that the science is not in their favour.

The biggest problem in pest control is that pests adapt naturally to their environments. For example, mice living in cold stores grow long coats and allegedly when the Americans went back to the Bikini Atoll after years of readiation following the nuclear tests of the 1950's they found that the rats have survived years of radio-activity.

I am in my sixties and when I go into a disco, my head swims with the noise and I can't hear a thing. But the kids are dancing directly in front of the loudspeakers and are having great conversations with each other!

Pests will initially be repelled by these units but then get used to them. And of course the answer to a rat population is to control it and not move it onto the neighbours!

Don't think too badly of pest controllers. They would actually make more money by moving the problem onto the neighbours instead of controlling it, especially if the neighbour is a restaurant. They just know that the science is generally against these units and don't want to see people waste their money on something which probably won't work.

Best wishes
Jonathan Peck
Killgerm Group
Go to Top of Page

Paulf

92 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2007 :  13:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jaqui, You say it worked, does this mean you have simply since not seen rats?

Perhaps you did things a bit more scientificly ie you sealed up entrance points etc and no takes, laid non toxic baits and had zero takes, no sign of fresh droppings etc.... I doubt it therfore your advice could be missleading.

I think i will have to patent my minimum cost solution to all pest problems, a sand bucket in which the buyer burys thier head!
Go to Top of Page

The Spotlight Kid

1495 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2007 :  17:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jonathan,

DISCO ???? ........ Respect man!
Go to Top of Page

Dusty
Hyperactive Member

Australia
970 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  08:07:48  Show Profile  Visit Dusty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I'll be, the UK stil has discos lol

JAFA
Go to Top of Page

Iain

United Kingdom
772 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  09:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In any scientific experiment, there is always the potential for unexpected and unexplainable results. This is called Standard Error and can be accommodated for by good experimental design and the use of appropriate statistical analyses.

With living creatures with variable responses and in a situation where it is impossible to control many variables, like a field trial, Standard Error can be quite high - sometime overly high, which means you have to start again or reconsider your original experimental design.

The normal maximum for an acceptable Standard Error is 5% - in orther words, you can still have 1 in 20 results being 'odd' and still have confidence that the other 19 results are valid.

I would imagine that the testing of Ultra sonics will be no different. You will therefore get unexpected results which go against the norm. I suspect that this is what the manufacturers of these things rely on.

If 1 in 20 of their purchasers think that their machine works - even though the result could be due to any number of unrelated radom events - then they are sufficient to keep the myth rolling on. The manufacturers use endorsements to 'prove' their claims and forget the 95%+ of purchasers who, perhaps somewhat embarrassedly, realise they've been had and write off the purchase to 'experience'.

We can never 'prove' 100% that these things don't work, so there will always be a small minority who think that they do.
Go to Top of Page

Dusty
Hyperactive Member

Australia
970 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  21:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Dusty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The same devices were touted in Australia to eliminate and frighten off termites from homes. Just plug one in a power socket and "presto"; allegedly it utilises the cables in the walls to put a magnetic barrier around the house.
They are no longer sold to control termites. No question, unless the house burns down due to rats nibbling electical cables, termites are capable of far more damage and expense than a bunch of mice. And it seems one very irate homeowner who was a barrister, quite reasonably got upset when he installed a device and some time later, termites ate up a significant portion of his home.

JAFA
Go to Top of Page

Bigbully

United Kingdom
96 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  08:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surely Anna's initial posting gives evidence to the point being made. She is using these electronic repellents and yet she has rats and is asking for advice. Even if these repellents do work on occasion (a point that I am not necessarily willing to concede) in this case they have not and further advice was necessary. Saying that I have come across people that swear by them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pest Control Forum © Pest Control Portal. Always read the Label. Use Pesticides Safely. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000