Pest Control Portal Forum
 Sulphur Candles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

3bigbass

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  17:14:40  Show Profile  Visit 3bigbass's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know the current legal status of using sulphur candles for pest fumigation in greenhouses?

I could only find one link to a specific appoval number which was revoked about two years ago, are they still approved?

Ken Chadwick
www.harrierpestprevention.co.uk

nigel
Hyperactive Member

808 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  18:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is a link to the "blue book";
www.hse.gov.uk/pesticides/bluebook/partb.htm

Look in section 2 for active ingredients.
Go to Top of Page

gavin

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  20:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sulphur candles are still available at many garden centres,hardware shops and mail order catalogues.
I have a garden direct catalogue which sells 'growing success'sulphur candles (MAFF 02039) each for up to 500cu.ft of greenhouse space.
regards
Gavin
Go to Top of Page

3bigbass

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  20:53:26  Show Profile  Visit 3bigbass's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've checked the blue book and I can find no reference to sulpher being licenced as an active ingredient in any product, can I safely assume therefore that the load of sulpher candles I saw for sale in a shop today, 98% sulpher, no approval number anywhere on tin are being sold illegally?

Ken Chadwick
www.harrierpestprevention.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

The Spotlight Kid

1495 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  21:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Growing Success were prosecuted a year or so back for selling pest control products with unlicenced AI's after ignoring many warnings. They sell much of their dodgy pesticides through garden centres including electronic repellers, poison free rodenticides and grey squirrel feed.
Go to Top of Page

gavin

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2007 :  17:22:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you check the 2007 UK PESTICIDE GUIDE yo will see there is about 10 products containing sulphur approved for fungicidal,acaricidal and foliar feed uses in agriculture and horticulture(sprays only not candles).
Regards

Gavin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pest Control Forum © Pest Control Portal. Always read the Label. Use Pesticides Safely. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000