Pest Control Portal Forum
 regurgitating rodents
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

urban

United Kingdom
178 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  21:21:08  Show Profile  Visit urban's Homepage  Reply with Quote
one of my clients ask me if rats coud not regurgitate i have to say i was stumped (well im getting old ya know) somene remind ME !!!!

CCC

www.urbawuildlifesolutions.co.uk

www.urbanwildlifesolutions.co.uk

The Spotlight Kid

1495 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  21:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Urban, I thought you'd been had by the fluffy badger brigade, welcome back.

From memory only, and my training on basic rat biology goes back a few years now, there are two things that influence what goes down a rat's throat.

1) They have a Diastema which is a gap between their teeth where they can expell any food that tastes bad before it is swallowed.

2) I think you are right that once swallowed it cannot be regurgitated but as I say this is from memory only and I'm sure someone else will look it up and give you a proper answer.

Edited by - The Spotlight Kid on 30 Aug 2008 22:34:12
Go to Top of Page

nigel
Hyperactive Member

808 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  22:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rats can not vomit but can and do occasionally regurgitate food.
Vomitting is a complex reflex action which rats can not do but regurgitating does not use this complexed action.
Go to Top of Page

Iain

United Kingdom
772 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  08:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nigel has it.

See here for a more detailed explanation:

http://www.ratbehavior.org/vomit.htm
Go to Top of Page

The Spotlight Kid

1495 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  14:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the diference between vomitting (V) and regurgitating (R) in the case of rodents that aren't designed to "R" to feed their young? Are we defining "R" as bringing up food that has not got as far as the stomach?

If so under what circumstances would a rat "R" ?

Nice subject by the way.
Go to Top of Page

The Spotlight Kid

1495 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  16:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normally vomitting would be a reflex action and regurgitating would be a concious action but if the food has passed into the rat's stomach can it perform either function?
Go to Top of Page

Dusty
Hyperactive Member

Australia
970 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  06:24:45  Show Profile  Visit Dusty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
“The stomach of the rat is divided into two parts; the forestomach (nonglandular) and the corpus (glandular). The two portions are separated by a limiting ridge. The esophagus enters at the lesser curvatrue of the stomach through a fold of the limiting ridge. This fold is responsible for the inability of the rat to vomit.”

Rats suffer from nausea and are able to regurgitate, known as geophagia, by ingesting emetics such as clay and even soil.

One of the amusing things that pet rat keepers will tell you is that most pet rats are not much fussed about eating grains like corn and barley..Possibly predominant grains in bait??

JAFA
Don't feed them, get Rid of them - visit us on www.ridpest.com.au
or blog us on http://blog.ridpest.com.au
Go to Top of Page

urban

United Kingdom
178 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  08:28:33  Show Profile  Visit urban's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey up spot ,,,
question really arose because we found fur balls in a rats nest .
so now i guess the question is are fur balls vomited or regurgitated ????

ccc

www.urbanwildlifesolutions.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Fenn Man
Hyperactive Member

Ireland
930 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  16:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting as all this is, I'll personally not be sorry to see it finish and sink down the page.

Only, right now, every time I come in here it's title is the first thing I see. And, every time, I get this mental flash image of someone coughing up a dead rat!

Go to Top of Page

The Spotlight Kid

1495 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  18:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is coughing up different to regurgitating or vomitting?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pest Control Forum © Pest Control Portal. Always read the Label. Use Pesticides Safely. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000