Pest Control Portal Forum
 Wasp nest destroyed?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dave

21 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  19:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What happens to the wasps when you remove the nest? If there are workers out foraging while you treat and remove nest what happens to those workers that dont come in to contact with insecticide when they return to the nest site? DO they join a new nest colony or do they die off?
any thoughts appreciated
dave

Gamekeeper

United Kingdom
372 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  09:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shall I tell him or will you ? We don't normally remove nests. All the workers sleep in the nest overnight - they have to, the insecticide kills them then. No stray, homeless wasps !
Go to Top of Page

Boxing Hare

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  10:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is a good point.

I did a nest yesterday in a shed belonging to a health centre. Their gardener / odd job man went in the shed & got stung. They called me urgently to 'remove' the nest.

When I got there, hanging from the the internal ridge of the small shed was a perfectly formed 'grapefruit' size nest. One foot away from it hung another nest, the size of a golfball.

I gave the bigger a quick 'puff', whilst holding a bin bag underneath. Then using a sickle, sliced the nest from the ridge, doing likewise with the other tiny nest. A few more puffs into the bag, which was sealed, and the job was done.

I also did this in the middle of the day, as the client wanted it done 'immediatly' and during opening hours, so a number of wasps would have been away from the nest. Also, several 'angry' (and rightly so!) wasps rapidly left the nest and shed.

As the original questioner asked - What will happen to them?

I was asked to 'remove' the nest. The gardener was afraid and intimidated by the nest and didn't want to have to return to the nest, with insecticide dust falling onto his head. The nest was so tiny that it didn't warrent a return call later to remove the nest, and was done in minutes, safely.
I did what I was asked, tidied up, had a very happy client and no one would even know a nest had been there.

So, like the original questioner, I am curious too.

What will happen to the 'homeless' wasps, who were out 'shopping' when I removed their home or were lucky enough fly away?
Go to Top of Page

Gamekeeper

United Kingdom
372 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  10:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't remove nests as a rule - I don't fancy bagging up a "live" nest. I wouldn't have thought a lost wasp would be accepted by another colony, though I could be wrong, interesting point as you say BH. Of course, unlike bees, wasps don't have a passport control on the entrance with guards there to repel strangers

Edited by - Gamekeeper on 19 Jul 2006 10:36:35
Go to Top of Page

nigel
Hyperactive Member

808 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  19:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Die off.
When you remove a nest, try giving the area a very light dusting of powder, any wasps that return will try to repair or rebuild the nest.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pest Control Forum © Pest Control Portal. Always read the Label. Use Pesticides Safely. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000