Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

johnny5

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  16:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the last few months I've had a problem with these small black bugs all over the walls, mainly in my bedroom and bathroom. I've killed about 15-20 so far. It's really disgusting and I don't know how to go about it. I just killed two of them a few minutes ago. They were on the wall right above my bed, so needless to say I won't be going near there for several hours. What the heck are these things and how do I get rid of them? I didn't think to ask about it until a few seconds ago so I can't really describe what they look like. They're pretty small (about 1-2 mm) I was able to kill them quite easily and I haven't seen them move or jump or fly or anything like that. What should I do?? Is it worth it to call an exterminator or is there something I can do on my own? I want to get this resolved ASAP because it's really bothering me.

The Spotlight Kid

1495 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  14:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
without an accurate description you wont get an acurate diagnosis from anyone. Use a magnifying glass if possible and describe as many features as possible: size, number of legs, body shape, body colour and markings, shape of antenae, wings or wing cases, number of body segments etc. (then you can squash it !)
Go to Top of Page

Fenn Man
Hyperactive Member

Ireland
931 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  00:19:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if it makes any differance, but I suspect " Johnny5 " there is North American ....? Johnny?
Go to Top of Page

johnny5

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  02:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fenn Man

I don't know if it makes any differance, but I suspect " Johnny5 " there is North American ....? Johnny?

Yeah. California, U.S.

I'll try and get a closeup picture the next time I see one. It's been a couple days but I'm sure they're not gone for good.

I did see one coming out of the crack in the faceplate of one of my electric outlets so I covered it with tape. Maybe that will slow them down a little.
Go to Top of Page

johnny5

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  00:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well its too small to get a clear picture of. It's one long(ish) body and the legs are underneath it. It seems to have very small (ridges?) all along its body kind of like a worm does (however they're more prevalent). Its light in the center and dark at both ends. It doesn't have wings.

It does seem that its coming from the sides of my power outlet though, even though I already taped it up..

!

Edited by - johnny5 on 30 Dec 2006 00:43:32
Go to Top of Page

Fenn Man
Hyperactive Member

Ireland
931 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  07:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, Johnny. I - or anyone else here - could ask you a load of clever, probing questions about the enviroment you live in, etc. But let's cut through all that cr!p and take an educated stab at it.

Please go to Google / Images and take a look at at least five pages (If necessary) of their shots of " Silverfish ". See how that compares to what ye seeing.

Go to Top of Page

Dusty
Hyperactive Member

Australia
970 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  07:36:57  Show Profile  Visit Dusty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maggots from a dead rat in the wall?

Don't feed them, get Rid of them
Go to Top of Page

johnny5

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  15:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They're not Silverfish. I have seen those on and off though. I live in San Diego, California where bugs aren't very common. I lived in a house once for about 15 years and I swear the bug count was less than 10. Then I moved only a few miles away and over the course of a year I've had problems with ants, silverfish and now these. I'm sure this is no big deal to most people but I'm just not used to it so I'm especially upset and grossed out over the whole thing.

@Dusty: I've seen them on and off for quite a few months now. I highly doubt a dead rat would last that long. They do more closely resemble maggots but they're much smaller and appear to have legs underneath them which I believe maggots do not.

Edited by - johnny5 on 30 Dec 2006 15:54:46
Go to Top of Page

Fenn Man
Hyperactive Member

Ireland
931 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  16:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh well. It was worth a try.

Johnny, I'm more a Vertebrates man myself. I'm far from the best guy to go too far with 'Bugs'. But it's now starting to sound like ye possibly have some form of larvae? What you're describing there rings a far off bell with me. I'm thinking possibly some sort of moth or beetle larvae or something.

Sorry I really can't be much more help to ye, mate. And I'm, frankly, aghast that next to none of my peers here are pitching in on this one. Maybe they're all nursing festive season heads?

Anyway, as they obviously bother ye so much and ye know where they're harbouring; How about trying a puff of proprietry insecticide dust in behind that fitting? Pop the power off for five minutes. Unscrew it and give it a dust. Same may go for ye under ye bath and around the base of ye toilet. Anywhere like that. May sort the thing out?

I keep wondering if it might be dryness or dampness that's holding the attraction for these things? See, without being able to take in the enviromental situation first hand, it is difficult for any of us to think round the multitude of possibilities and permutations here.

What sort of flooring / floor covering have ye? Just trying to gain a better visualisation of the set up there.

Go to Top of Page

johnny5

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  17:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They could possibly be some kind of larvae. I do have a Koi pond right outside my bedroom which could be a spawning ground for them. Its on the first floor though, whereas my bedroom is on the second. That's quite a ways to travel.

Most larvae I've seen though are soft, and these seem more hard-bodied. I've also never heard of larvae crawling around on walls. Don't they usually just wriggle around where they were born until they're matured?

I'm not exactly sure they're harbouring in the walls though, it was just a somewhat educated guess when they appeared around and above them. I taped up every opening in the electric outlet and yet I saw another one right above it a day later, which makes no sense.

I'll try spraying some insecticide within the walls, but how do I go about preventing them from returning, if that works?

Edited by - johnny5 on 30 Dec 2006 17:32:10
Go to Top of Page

donky7

United Kingdom
215 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  19:05:46  Show Profile  Visit donky7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
be sure not to spray any insecicides across yer pond, from the outside, or yer coy's will be no more.......

are these similar...... ?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.whatsthatbug.com/images/pill_bugs.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.whatsthatbug.com/Pill.html&h=159&w=216&sz=7&hl=en&sig2=VO1lT0dgC2BG0S06Rklznw&start=4&tbnid=NfjMZVLeyRxhXM:&tbnh=79&tbnw=107&ei=WLiWRdW7O832wQGijt3sDA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpill%2Bbug%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN
Go to Top of Page

Fenn Man
Hyperactive Member

Ireland
931 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  20:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Donks, My Man! I bet ye've cracked in one, mate! " PillBugs "!

Crazy thing is, even as I sat here writing, the other night, I'm watching my own, resident " Wood Louse " (as we know them) moving slowly up my wall. Only I'm thinking; " Naaah. It couldn't be That simple!

Talk about wood for trees ..... Of course, Johnny's simply not been exposed to these things and so may well not recognise them.

The Bathroom sort of cracks it too, eh? ;)

[IMG]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n201/ptpc/pillbugs.jpg[/IMG]

Johnny; This is about The Most benign little 'Casual Intruder' a man can get. But, if they freak you out? A basic Insecticide should take care of them. That and a good heater ;) They like a bit of damp.

Go to Top of Page

johnny5

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  02:14:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could possibly be a pillbug, although I've seen a lot of those before and this looks nothing like it. Still much smaller and actually more maggot-looking. It looks like a very small maggot with legs.

Weird description but its the best I can do.

The ridges on the top of it are similar to that though, but they're across the entire body (with no space in between), rather than just a few up and down it.

I'm going to attempt to take a picture again. When I tried it was too small and would end up blurry on the camera. Plus it was so close to the wall that the flash would just make the picture nothing but a bright light. I'll figure something out though.

EDIT: Actually it does look a lot like the little one towards the top of the picture. I dunno though, I've seen a lot of pillbugs and these just don't seem to be them. They're not quite as wide as pillbugs and it seems more like its the body rather than a shell on top.

Edited by - johnny5 on 31 Dec 2006 02:22:15
Go to Top of Page

Iain

United Kingdom
772 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  10:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This all goes to show that you cannot easily make an ident from just a verbal description!

So far I've thought - bedbug, cockroach nymph, thrips, - as the string has developed. My latest idea is our old friend, the Psocid or more commonly known as the Book Louse. Johnny5, try looking for these on the internet and let us know if they are the ones.

If I'm right, you would need to look at reducing the humidity levels in your apartment, though the targeted use of a crawling insect aerosol can wouldn't go ammiss as well.

If I'm wrong, all I can suggest if you cannot get the photo is a hand drawn sketch.
Go to Top of Page

johnny5

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  18:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I checked out pictures of all of the above and none were it.

It does not have antennas or legs that protrude out. Its one solid (somewhat thin and longish) body , no seperate visible head.

I've borrowed a camera from my friend which is much better than mine and should be able to take a good picture of it. Just need to wait for one to show up. They seem to appear once every two or three days.
Go to Top of Page

donky7

United Kingdom
215 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  10:03:01  Show Profile  Visit donky7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
can you not attempt to draw him,, simply offer him a bit of left over xmas cake, while you sit and chat about the new events of 2007, get yer pencil out........
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/donky7/insectid.jpg[/IMG]

i had never seen a booklouse in detail before, i posted hthis pic, within hours, he was identified.
Go to Top of Page

johnny5

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  22:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright, I suck at drawing.

But, here's kinda what it looks like.

[img]http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/9601/1301884514231053590qr8.jpg[/img]

The sizing is a little inaccurate so it may look like a pillbug, but its not. It's smaller and thinner.
Go to Top of Page

Fenn Man
Hyperactive Member

Ireland
931 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  22:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many legs, Johnny? Scrape one onto a piece of paper. Drop it into a glass and have a look for us, please ;)
Go to Top of Page

johnny5

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  23:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will do. Still waiting for one to show up. I saw one yesterday, but unfortunately I had guests over so I had to smash it right away.

Didn't think to catch it in something.
Go to Top of Page

merlin

18 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  09:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking maybe some kind of juvenile millipede, pill millipedes can be confused with woodlice
I could only find a passing referance and no picture in my regular texts but will check my other books when I find what box they are in.

My money is on pill millipedes

Merlin

Edited by - merlin on 03 Jan 2007 09:31:53
Go to Top of Page

merlin

18 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  11:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
check this link

http://www.arkive.org/species/ARK/invertebrates_terrestrial_and_freshwater/Glomeris_marginata/ARK006547.html?size=large
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pest Control Forum © Pest Control Portal. Always read the Label. Use Pesticides Safely. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000