Manuals
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NickA
Hyperactive Member

United Kingdom
1523 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  19:40:10  Show Profile  Visit NickA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carrying on from CPD etc threads.
The old ADAS manual being rewritten by BPCA "boffins".
As this is the backbone of RSPH, though taking nothing away from the Killgerm manual, have both here and use equally.
I feel we need a Technician type manual not so in depth as the two above, but aimed at Technician maybe synopsis on pests, what to look for.
How to carry out risk assessments, COSSH , PPE, RPE, regulations make it easily carried in holdall.
Never seen the publications by Harvard so those of you who have please comment.
This could be a god send for Technicians.

Pests are smart - We're smarter
www.rpcwildlife.co.uk

blatta

United Kingdom
288 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  20:18:37  Show Profile  Visit blatta's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nick
I don't think the ADAS Manual is too 'in depth'. There is quite a bit of information wthin it but there are summaries at the start of all of the pest descriptions.
Go to Top of Page

NickA
Hyperactive Member

United Kingdom
1523 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  21:12:04  Show Profile  Visit NickA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
But hardly sevice holdall size.
Not something you can show a customer easily.

www.rpcwildlife.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Simmo

75 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  21:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it too far to walk to your van if you need to show it to your customer?
Go to Top of Page

Simmo

75 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  21:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I would leave it alone but can't.

I am not involved with the rewrite of the manual myself but know those who are. I think the term boffins is dismissive of those with many more years practical pest control experience than you Nick and also rather offensive, albeit in a gentle old-fashioned way. If you don't like it fine, no one is forcing you to buy it. If you think you can do better also fine, stop constantly carping on and do something about it yourself.

I know I will regret posting this but s*d it, I will anyway. Won't be around for a day or so to react to the flak, but look forward to it on my return.

J

XXX
Go to Top of Page

Dusty
Hyperactive Member

Australia
970 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  04:53:17  Show Profile  Visit Dusty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is this tag team wrestling for UK pest controllers?

Don't feed them, get Rid of them - visit us on www.ridpest.com.au
Go to Top of Page

NickA
Hyperactive Member

United Kingdom
1523 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  07:38:07  Show Profile  Visit NickA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Boffin a person engaged in technical research.

Nothing derisory.

www.rpcwildlife.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

The Spotlight Kid

1495 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  08:24:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mmmmmm must be more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye here because I'm just not seeing what is causing all the supposed offence on Nick's posts. Still I won't get involved.
Back to the post, I like the ADAS manual but would actually prefer it to be a lot more detailed but perhaps with a pocket companion " field guide" included. One for the pocket and one for the van. When is the new version out ?
Go to Top of Page

nigel
Hyperactive Member

808 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  08:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heres a handy tip for you, if you have a CD ROM version of the training manuals you can print off the most commonest pest pages, resize to A5 and print on to A5 size paper and you can produce a handy little refference manual you can carry with you. If you can laminate them do so.
Go to Top of Page

NickA
Hyperactive Member

United Kingdom
1523 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  08:59:10  Show Profile  Visit NickA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Spotlight I have no idea either.
Nigel Killgerm manual available CR rom which is handy, hope eventually ADAS manual would go that way.
Have the Bayer Insect Pest in holdall which helps show the customer what the problem is.
Be nice to have a A4 sheet with common pests in a few languages or pictures, with a what to do.
Would help with those whose first language isn't English.

www.rpcwildlife.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Dusty
Hyperactive Member

Australia
970 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  09:32:11  Show Profile  Visit Dusty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some years ago PTC dedicated a page to one specific pest each and every month.
Perhaps one of the UK associations could provide same in each publications.
Let it be sponsored by one of the suppliers

Go to Top of Page

Iain

United Kingdom
772 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  10:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The NPTA who produce 'Today's Technician' magazine did precisely this some years ago under the 'Know Your Foe' series. For information, we are looking at producing a variety of paperwork for use by technicians, particularly to show or present to their customers, so this sort of discussion is useful.

...but without the personal comments, please.
Go to Top of Page

NickA
Hyperactive Member

United Kingdom
1523 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  15:29:22  Show Profile  Visit NickA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iain, the manuals are good but how many technicians have them or are supplied them.
The insect pest fact file helps but I feel the technicians need that little bit of help in presenting their findings to client. Always good when you pick up a specimen and show customer it in book.
Thats why a handy A4 or A5 laminated sheet would be handy.
The manuals are unwieldy to use.
Perhaps we should also be looking at emerging pests.?
Asian Hornets the other side of channel.
Brazilian Wandering Spider.. great one that, enjoyed dealing with that.

www.rpcwildlife.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

splatman

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  17:57:27  Show Profile  Click to see splatman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
in this modern age, why bother with manuals, why not direct your customer to a handy website with all the info on them? Us pesties have enough to carry around without having to lug another folder around with us....lol, surely though, all the info should be stored up in the old grey matter? ;)
Go to Top of Page

Iain

United Kingdom
772 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  18:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's all there - it's just that it gets increasing hard to retrieve.
Go to Top of Page

nigel
Hyperactive Member

808 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  18:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must admit over the last year, more customers do seem to be doing their homework and looking up their problems on the web. More seemed to be better informed as to their problem and now get an impression of what to expect which is good, although it is obvious they do not have much of an idea what it all means.
Go to Top of Page

Dusty
Hyperactive Member

Australia
970 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2007 :  20:29:44  Show Profile  Visit Dusty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nigel, the problem with the net is that not all of the info is sound or true, but unfortunately, Googlers dont always understand that.
If they have Googled bull****, it is sometimes difficult to convince the overnight experts any differently.
A small printed manual, loose leaf pages or even a chart would be my first choices.

Edited by - Dusty on 27 Feb 2007 20:30:59
Go to Top of Page

NickA
Hyperactive Member

United Kingdom
1523 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  09:55:01  Show Profile  Visit NickA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Other manuals to consider are the Clays Handbook of Environmental Health, Mallis and Trumans guide to Pest Control Operations.
Seems the discussion here has sparked some interest elsewhere.

www.rpcwildlife.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

NickA
Hyperactive Member

United Kingdom
1523 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  16:50:54  Show Profile  Visit NickA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just received a nice A4 Fly Indentification sheet from Killgerm, will photocopy this and laminate it.
That will fit on clipboard nicely.

www.rpcwildlife.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pest Control Forum © Pest Control Portal. Always read the Label. Use Pesticides Safely. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000